3:10 TO YUMA

I can get a knife out and cut up the needless remake of a classic, faster than anyone I ever met. I have left a long trail of chopped and shredded ill conceived Nuevo Celluloid in my wake. I won't have to do that with the Russell Crowe / Christian Bale version of 3:10 to Yuma. This is a western: the villains are villainous the women stand by their men the hero is reluctant and yet, does right as he sees the right loyalty and courage mean something I can't recall a minute of this film, when I was not anxious to see what would happen next. This version is fully able to stand on its own feet and be measured as equal to its 1957 sibling which starred Glen Ford and Van Heflin,that is high praise indeed. Special recognition to role players, Ben Foster, Vinessa Shaw, Gretchen Mol and Peter Fonda. Their contributions help lift this film to a higher level. Russell Crowe is just a marvelous actor -- his appearance in a film is reason enough to see that film.

No comments: