COLORED GIRLS

THE LADIES HAVE PUSHED ME TO THE CURB AND ARE REVIEWING THIS WITHOUT MY BRILLIANT INSIGHTS.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We saw the movie this past weekend. The acting was good....the storyline was very bleak and sad. Never saw the original play from back in the day.
Phylicia Rashad's acting/dialogue was a nice touch to the film. It would have been good if Tyler Perry had switched it a bit. For instance, had Janet Jackson playing the down and out character (that of her assistant) and Kimberly Elise playing the rich, unfulfilled woman (that of her boss). Glad to see Anika Noni Rose, because she is often overlooked for roles and is a fine actress.
A. W. IN D.C.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm going to try to see it next week. Everyone I know who saw it says it is good, heavy, but good.
J.F.C. in BROOKLYN
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I saw the play when I was in ninth grade, after reading the book. I will say what Tyler Perry added to the poetry and how he wove it all together was amazing!! Go see it then see it again! Definitely Oscar worthy performances from most of the cast! Tyler Perry did his thing...again!
F.J. in ARVERNE, N.Y.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope to see the movie soon. I am not a 100% Tyler Perry fan, but I do admire what he has done with his talent, plus he gives a lot of talented actors jobs when they are ignored by main stream Hollywood. I thought that the New York Times review was favorable.
H.R. in CAMBRIA HEIGHTS, N.Y.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I saw the movie Friday – it is no joke and relatively true to the original stage version.
The script, built around the monologues, was extremely well-done and helped to build each story. It is a must see, but, not for the faint of heart. Not a date movie, and don’t look to be entertained!!
E.B. - STONE MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I loved the movie as well as the play.I don't think it was a beat down on all men, just some of the things we females have been through and how we can be strong and move on. Life is not over. There were a lot of tears in that theater.
B. P. in GREENSBORO, N.C.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A.A.H. - IN NASHVILLE, TN. -- A MALE PERSPECTIVE
Tyler did an excellent job. I realize his extended some characterizations, and I know Janet's character was not a part of the original play, but I thought the movie was great. Kimberly Elise, can't say enough about this sister's acting, she is the heart of the movie, Felicia is the soul, Tandy is the devil, Devine is the voice of the women who are afraid to speak, the young girl, is the future deterring in the past, the now and the future of womanhood, and Whoopie, she is the glue that binds. Carrie is the pain, and Ms. Jackson, the fear of who she really is, a black woman behind a shield of self-hatered.

No comments: