GOOD HAIR

I have heard negative comments about this documentary on the subject of African American cosmetology / hair care.
There has been a charge that Chris Rock was making fun of women. That he focused only on a small segment of the multi-billion dollar hair care industry. That his film won’t interest
non-black viewers. That he does not offer any solutions to the questions he brings forth in the film.
My view is that Mister Rock has done a MAGNIFICENT job of bringing the need for society to strike a balance between inner beauty and mere appearance.
He does as fine a job of raising pertinent issues as a Mike Wallace or Walter Cronkite would do and much like these legendary journalist, he can’t answer the questions raised, that is for the audience to wrestle with once the film ends. Using regular folks and celebrities and traveling half way around the world, Chris has framed the questions with intelligence and a sense of humor – it is not fair to ask him to do our job and reach finite conclusions for us.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHILE GROWING UP IN QUEENS, NEW YORK, MY DAUGHTER, VALERIE, WAS FRIENDS WITH TWO VERY NICE GIRLS, SANDRA DENTON AND CHERYL JAMES; BOTH LADIES ARE FEATURED IN THIS FILM UNDER THEIR PROFESSIONAL NAMES -
"SALT AND PEPA."
THEIR VERY HONEST AND SINCERE COMMENTS GIVE THIS FILM THE KIND OF
CREDIBILITY WHICH CAUSED ME TO USE THE WORD MAGNIFICENT TO DECRIBE THE PRODUCTION.
CHRIS, A SON OF BROOKLYN, CAN BE PROUD OF THIS VENTURE INTO A DOCUMENTARY FORMAT.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
COMMENTS FROM ARDENA WILLIAMS IN WASHINGTON D.C.---
I saw "Good Hair" and I agree with you....it was funny yet informative and well made. I already knew about the dangers of the various hair products and the obession some people have with weaves, wigs, extensions, relaxers. etc.
Nonetheless, it was still very entertaining and full of facts. I remember back in the mid 1990s, Oprah's beautifican cautioned women not to use "No Lye" relaxers because they were actually more harmful than the lye based ones and caused more damage (balding, hair breakage, etc.). Those women in India are really getting the short end of the stick......their hair sells for millions and they see none of that profit after they have shaved their heads.
I did not know, until I saw Chris's movie" about the business tactics which India uses to profit from the hair weaving business.
Personally, I have never understood why women who have plenty of hair or who could easily grow their own hair would want a weave to begin with. I actually had one beautician to tell me that she could not do my hair because it is not a weave and that she was shocked that it was all my real hair because it is so long. How crazy is that?? My hair comes way down my back and every other beautician I have been to preferred real hair any day over weaved hair.

No comments: