SHERLOCK HOLMES

This was not the Sherlock Holmes I grew up knowing – this was Sherlock Holmes on steroids.
The original essence of this character was to place brains before brawn. This new Holmes seems more like Wyatt Earp in Dodge City, fist fights and guns blazing.
The production values of this film are just flat out sensational. A beautiful recreation of London 150 years ago, fabulous sets and costumes.
The chemistry between Robert Downey’s detective and his friend, Dr. John Watson, played by Jude Law, is excellent. Mark Strong as the villain and Eddie Marsan as Inspector Lestrade do very well.
I just don’t know if this was really a Sherlock Holmes movie I watched.The elements of senseless violence and explosions, tells me that this film was playing down to an adolescence demographic that would place action before intellect.
The film took the low road on many occasions, but with the superior acting, they got away with it most of the time.
When I like the sets, more than the story, there is something wrong. I think they got a little too
cute for their own good - they played for comedy at the expense of the plot.

No comments: