WHITE HOUSE DOWN

I recent wrote a cousin of mine and mentioned to her that critics are not telling you what to see, but most often warning you about what you will see if you buy a movie ticket. If you go to see "White House Down," you will see "Die Hard" without Bruce Willis. 
You will see senior government officials agonizing over a decision that a fifth grader could make with confidence in under ten seconds. "Should I save the world from total  destruction or do what is best for a child I met five minutes ago?" 
 If you were lucky enough to have seen "Olympus Has Fallen" a few months ago, quit while you are ahead, this current film is not in the same league with that production, though they share the same basic storyline.
I was going to point out several other plot elements that make little sense, but as I already mentioned, this is "Die Hard" in Washington, D.C. -- not "Hamlet in Denmark," so there is no point in attacking it for its intellectual shortcomings. It is an action film with plenty of action, that is the most positive comment I can make about it. If you want to see a lot of shooting and miracle escapes from certain death, this is the picture for you.
   I am not doing the cast members any favors in mentioning their names - but, Jamie Foxx, Channing Tatum, James Wood, 
 Maggie Gyllenhaal and young Miss Joey King are the stars and Roland Emmerich is the director. 
 I should make it clear that I really liked "Die Hard" back in the day, but moving it to a different city is not worthy of two hours and seventeen minutes of my time in
the year 2013.

No comments: